CIWEM Environmental Contest
- Environmental Photographer of the Year – £2,000 cash prize and personalised certificate
- Changing Climates Prize – £500 cash prize and personalised certificate
- Built Environment Prize – £500 cash prize and personalised certificate
- Sustainability in Practice Prize – £500 cash prize and personalised certificate
- Young Environmental Photographer of the Year (Under 21) – Camera equipment
The CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year competition encourages entries that are contemporary, creative, resonant, challenging, original and beautiful, but most of all, pictures that will inspire people around the world to start taking care of our environment.
All winners will be informed by 24th August 2018 by email.
Entrants are invited to submit up to 10 still photographs or films. In recognition of the contemporary focus of this year’s competition, photographs must have been taken (and films made) since 1 January 2017. Online submission of digital photographs via the website.
Image requirements: JPEGs, saved at a high quality level, e.g. 10 in Adobe Photoshop, with a maximum file size of 0.5MB. If shortlisted, still photography entrants must be able to supply images as RAW files or original JPEGs. Some digital adjustment or editing is allowed, but entrants should understand that the objective is to remain faithful to the original experience, and to never deceive the viewer or misrepresent reality.
- Impact – does it illustrate immediate, subtle or resonant messages?
- Creativity – is it unusual, thoughtful, beautiful, subversive or ironic?
- Originality – is the subject treated differently and is the subject matter new?
- Composition – consider the perspective, balance, clarity of meaning and focus of statement
- Relevance – consider current environmental issues
- Technical quality – consider clarity, focus, lighting, exposure and colour