Humanizing Development – Global Photography Campaign
How do you see development? How can you portrait the human face of the development processes? How do you show that development initiatives and programmes improve the lives of people? This Global Photography Campaign aims to show examples of people winning the battle against poverty, social exclusion and marginalization. It is intended to raise awareness of the successes in the development process. The campaign is intended to counterbalance the frequently shown images of desolation and despair. A photo gallery will to be permanently located at IPC-IG office and open for public visitation.
This campaign will enable people to contribute photographs related to a wide array of development situations, such as:
- Overcoming poverty, social exclusion and marginalisation.
- Enlarging people’s choices and supporting local development initiatives.
- Promoting self-esteem, confidence and hope.
- Building a brighter future and advancing human capacities.
- Fighting deprivation and expanding access to food, water, sanitation, education and health services for the poor.
- Eliminating gender inequalities in the labour market.
- Empowering women.
- Fighting discrimination, domestic violence, abuse and exploitation.
- Eliminating child labour and promoting decent work opportunities.
- Expanding access to education and improving its quality and social inclusiveness through innovative approaches.
- Innovative initiatives on local development, enhancing the participation of communities in decision processes.
- Enhancing women’s potential and participation in development processes.
- Promoting women’s leadership and equal opportunity to develop talents.
- Building democratic governance and developing institutions and processes that are more responsive to the needs of ordinary citizens, including the poor. Alleviating exclusion, suffering, injustice and waste caused by corruption.
- Empowering citizens to combat the destructive influence of corruption, entrenched networks and abuse of power.
As a reward, your contribution to this campaign and your effort in supporting its goals will be acknowledged by a wide dissemination of your work through a range of UN communications tools:
- The selected photographs and the respective contributors’ names will be highlighted in various UN communications channels, such as IPC-IG and UN media campaigns, releases, websites and so forth.
- The selected photograph will be part of UNDP and IPC-IG photo databases and will be shared with the United Nations Department of Public Information in New York, promoting global visibility to contributors, their work and participation in the global campaign.
- Contributors will receive a certificate jointly issued by the UNDP International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth and the campaign partners.
- Contributors will have their names displayed at the IPC-IG photo gallery on "Humanizing Development", which will be launched at a public event on November 2009.
- Photo exhibitions are to be organised in order to highlight the photographs and the contributors and to promote the campaign goals. Exhibitions are planned to be held in New York, Brasilia, São Paulo, and other cities in the South.
To take part in the Campaign, potential participants should upload their photograph(s) to the Global Photography Campaign website, which is hosted on the website of the International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth of the United Nations Development Programme
Each participant may send up to 5 photographs that significantly represent the theme.
Official web site: http://www.ipc-undp.org/photo/index.htm