2008 Nature’s Best Photography Windland Smith Rice Awards
The editors of NATURE’S BEST PHOTOGRAPHY magazine invite all photographers to enter the 2008 NATURE’S BEST PHOTOGRAPHY WINDLAND SMITH RICE INTERNATIONAL AWARDS competition.More than $10,000 in cash will be awarded, including $2,500 to the Grand Prize winner.
The winning photographs will be published in the Fall 2008 NATURE’S BEST PHOTOGRAPHY and may be selected for our annual exhibit at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC, and in other locations. Entries will be judged on technical quality, originality, and artistic merit.
- ANIMAL ANTICS: Wildlife in humorous or surprising situations.
- ART IN NATURE: Naturally occurring artistic compositions in nature (colors, forms, textures, etc.)
- BIRDS: Wild birds in native habitats displaying plumage, mating rituals, nesting, feeding, or other behaviors.
- CAMERA CLUB: Up to 20 photographs may be submitted as a group entry by a camera club. Note: each individual member can contribute no more than three (3) images to the group submission. Each individual image in a camera club submission must fit within one of the contest categories, without exception. The entry will be judged as a portfolio and selected on the overall excellence of the entire group of images. Participating club members are also permitted to submit their own entry (up to 20 images) separate from the Camera Club entry, and may include the same images in both submissions.
- CREATIVE DIGITAL: Any nature-related image or combination of images that is created and/or manipulated using digital/electronic technology (such as Adobe® Photoshop®). Let your imagination go wild! Exception: panoramic images created by digitally stitching two or more images together may be entered into other categories as appropriate. Please provide the details on all techniques used.
- ENDANGERED SPECIES: Plants or animals that are listed as endangered species by the IUCN. Please visit www.redlist.org to confirm the endangered status of a species before submitting to this category.
- ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES: Images that document current environmental issues, such as pollution, global warming, loss of habitat, etc.
- NEW CATEGORY! INDIGENOUS CULTURES: People living within their ancient historic communities, practicing their traditional culture: dress, arts/crafts, dance, rituals, hunting/gathering, food preparation, examples of sustainable living, etc.
- LANDSCAPE:Dramatic scenes and unusual perspectives of land providing expansive views.
- OCEANS: The fascinating world of the sea: tide pools, coral reefs, marine life, etc. Photos taken above an ocean’s surface are welcome.
- PEOPLE IN NATURE: People enjoying the outdoors: backpackers, kayakers, divers, hikers, etc., in natural settings.
- PLANT LIFE: Flowers, trees, and other flora in natural habitat. May include wide vistas.
- NEW CATEGORY for macro shooters! SMALL WORLD SPECTACULARS: Shots of plants, animals, and miniature landscapes taken with macro lenses.
- NEW CATEGORY! WEATHER:From dramatic storms to tranquil skys, weather in all its furry and forms. (Tornados, hurricanes, floods, rain, wind, cloud formations, etc.)
- WILDLIFE: Wild animals (mammals, reptiles, amphibians, etc.—birds are a separate category, see above) photographed in their natural habitat (no captive animals).
- YOUTH PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR: An entry of up to 20 photographs may be submitted by photographers 18 years old or younger. Each individual image in a youth submission must fit within the contest categories, without exception. *Please be sure to include your age on your entry form.
- ZOOS & AQUARIUMS: Images may include animal portraits, behavior, zookeepers working with animals, visitors (may require model release), special events, etc. All photographs must have been taken at American Zoo & Aquarium Association (AZA) member zoos and aquariums.
Entries must be postmarked no later than April 26, 2008.
Each submission is limited to a total of no more than 20 images (35mm color slides, larger format color transparencies, or digitally captured images. Prints will NOT be accepted). Each submission MUST follow the guidelines below and be sent in one package along with the entry fee and the completed entry form with ALL information filled out in clear, legible print or type.
Official web site: www.naturesbestphotography.com/pages/guidelines.html