2nd Annual DEEP Indonesia International Underwater Photo Competition
On the heels of announcing the prestigious 3rd-annual, US-based international photo and video competition, Wetpixel & DivePhotoGuide have once again organized a unique joint collaboration with a second international competition in association with DEEP Indonesia , Indonesia’s first-ever Diving, Adventure Travel and Water sports expo.2007 marked the first time two international competitions associated with dive expos on opposite sides of the world cooperated to establish a complementary series of categories and prizing opportunities.
Photographers will compete in 7 themed categories to win over $30,000 in prizes, including photo equipment, dive gear, and premium dive travel packages to some of the top photo destinations in Indonesia and beyond. Indonesia trips include Ambon, Bali, Fak Fak, Komodo, Lembeh, Manado, and Raja Empat. Additional dive packages include Papua New Guinea and The Bahamas. The contest includes a category for images that focus on conservation and the marine environment, one specifically for entries taken by compact digital cameras, and one specifically for Indonesian entrants.
Note that the Environment and Conservation category allows for both topside and underwater images, while all other categories are underwater-only. Categories have been modeled from those used in The Digital Shootout, which Wetpixel has been involved with for the past few years.
- Divers: Best image featuring a scuba diver underwater.
- Animal Portrait: Best image featuring a portrait of an animal underwater.
- Animal Behavior: Best image featuring underwater animal behavior.
- Compact Camera: Underwater images of all kinds, taken by point ‘n shoot, non-SLR digital cameras. In this category, no entries from scanned slides or digital SLRs will be accepted. Although there exist many great underwater images taken by point ‘n shoot cameras, it is often difficult for them to compete with SLRs when it comes to image quality.
- Reefscapes: Best image featuring the rich reefs around the world.
- Environment and Conservation: Topside and underwater images of all kinds, taken by any camera, with a focus on the marine or lake environment and conservation. Subject matter must address a marine or lake-related environmental issue. The goal in this category is to convey a real-world message.
- Indonesia Category: Open to Indonesian residents only
Official web site: www.underwatercompetition.com/Deep_Indonesia_2008.php