Potato Photo Contest
The IYP World Photography Contest, Focus on a global food, supports two key objectives of the International Year of the Potato: to increase awareness of the importance of potato as a food in developing nations, and to promote research and development of potato-based systems as a means of contributing to achievement of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
The contest is an invitation to reflect on the potato’s key role in agriculture, the economy and world food security, to offer new insights into potato biodiversity, cultivation, processing, trade, marketing and consumption, and to contribute to a free and international exchange of information on this globally important food crop.The contest is divided into two categories: Professional photographers (people who make their living from photography) and Amateur photographers.
Professional photographers category:
- 1st place – US$4 000 and a Nikon D300 kit (D300 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR lens)
- 2nd place – US$2 000 and a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR lens
- 3rd place – US$1 000 and a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens
Amateur photographers category:
- 1st place – $US2 000 and a Nikon D60 kit (D60 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR lens)
- 2nd place – $US1 000 and a Nikon D40 kit (D40 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II lens)
- 3rd place – $US 500 and a Nikon Coolpix S600 camera
Photographs submitted must be recent and relevant to the International Year of the Potato 2008. In particular the image should depict one or more of the following activities:
- Post-harvest and processing
- Consumption and utilization
Entries: JPEG images
Photographs must be submitted as digital files in JPEG format. Each entrant may submit either a single JPEG image or a “photo story” of from 4 to 8 related JPEG images. Images must be 300 dpi resolution, and 20 cm x 30 cm. They may be taken with a digital camera, or may be scans in JPEG format of negatives, transparencies or prints.
The digital files of the entries may be uploaded directly via the internet, using an online account. Entrants can may create an online account at the following URL: http://www.potato2008.org/photocontest/register.html
Official web site: http://www.potato2008.org/en/photocontest/index.html