The United States International Photo Contest For Kids
- Amazing Animals (photos of pets, zoo animals, or wild animals)
- Dare to Explore (photos of outdoor scenery)
- Weird But True (photos that capture something odd or funny)
- Wild Vacation (photos taken during vacation travels, including pictures of vacation destination landmarks, monuments, celebrations or festivals, food, etc.)
- One Grand Prize – a National Geographic Costa Rica Family Adventure for the Grand Prize winner and one parent or legal guardian. Prize includes double accommodations, most meals, and activities as described in the Catalog. Prize includes coach class roundtrip air transportation between a major international gateway airport near the winner’s home
- Four First Place Winners get a 20.1-megapixel digital camera; an 8GB memory card; a copy of the books 100 Things to Do Before You Grow Up, Weird But True: Ripped From the Headlines, the National Geographic Kids Cookbook, and Mission: Polar Bear Rescue.
- Four Second Place Winners get a 16.1-megapixel digital camera; an 8GB memory card; a copy of the books 100 Things to Do Before You Grow Up and Weird But True: Ripped From the Headlines.
No entrant may submit in total more than one entry per Category. Online submission of digital entries via the website or prints by post.
- Creativity 50%
- Photographic Quality 50%
Image requirements: 5 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image). Minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable. Cropping is acceptable, as are fish-eye lenses.