Self-portraiture is often used to explore and manipulate identity. There is a performative aspect to this genre. By turning the camera on oneself the photographer is brought out from behind their lens, and able to choose how they would like to the world to see them. The photographer invites judgment and critique on not only their artistic message, but also their appearance and demeanor. For this exhibition, The Kiernan Gallery seeks self-portraits that provide insight into the “second self” that appears when artist becomes subject.
- Up to 25 images will be exhibited in The Kiernan Gallery in Lexington, Virginia (July 31 - August 1, 2013). Up to an additional 35 images will be selected for exhibition in the online gallery.
- A Juror’s Choice and Director’s Choice will also be announced.
Juror: Stephen Sheffield
All photographic media are encouraged. Submit digital images by email or mail on a CD. There is a limit of 10 images that you may submit.
Image requirements: JPG format; 72 ppi; sRGB color profile; less than 1024 pixels on the longest side.
Similar contests (may already be finished!):
- Kiernan Gallery Photo Exhibition “Take Flight”
- Kiernan Gallery Photo Exhibition “Mainland”
- Kiernan Gallery Photo Exhibition “Botanicals”
- Kiernan Gallery Photo Exhibition “Grayscale”
- Kiernan Gallery Photo Exhibition “Eye on the Street”