- GENERAL NEWS Pictures (GN) or stories/portfolios (GNS) covering (major) news topics and their aftermaths, in such areas as politics, economics, conflict, social tension, relief and reconstruction work, and crime. All pictures must have been shot in 2012.
- SPOT NEWS Pictures (SN) or stories/portfolios (SNS) witnessing news moments or unfolding events. All pictures must have been shot in 2012.
- CONTEMPORARY ISSUES Single feature pictures (CI) or stories/portfolios (CIS) documenting issues affecting people’s lives and society today, relating to social, environmental, health, economic, or other such areas.
- DAILY LIFE Pictures (DL) or stories/portfolios (DLS) that document the extraordinary or unseen in the ordinary, or cast a new perspective on everyday life.
- Observed Portraits Pictures (PO) or stories/portfolios (POS) portraying people (groups and individuals), public figures, or celebrities, observed in their environment.
- Staged Portraits Staged portraits (PS) or stories/portfolios (PSS) of celebrities, public figures or people (groups and individuals).
- NATURE Pictures (NA) or stories/portfolios (NAS) of wildlife, other aspects of the natural world, or landscapes.
- Sports Action Single pictures (SA) or portfolios/stories (SAS) capturing defining moments during major sporting events or top-level contests. All pictures must have been shot in 2012.
- Sports Feature Portfolios/stories (SFS) featuring the variety of ways sports are practiced worldwide, on an amateur or professional level, competitively, or for recreation.
A photographer’s professional status must be established by providing a document of verification. Single images in all categories must have been taken in 2012. Stories/portfolios entered in the categories General News, Spot News and Sports Action must have been taken in 2012. Stories/portfolios must contain no less than 2 and no more than 12 images.
Image requirements: JPG format; at least 3,000 pixels in length; saved in with a medium to high quality. Only retouching which conforms to currently accepted standards in the industry is allowed. Only single-frame images will be accepted.
Similar contests (may already be finished!):
- 2012 World Press Photo Contest
- The 2011 World Press Photo Contest
- The Best of Photojournalism 2013
- The Photojournalism Annual Competition
- World Press Photo Contest 2015