The Geographical Photographer of the Year 2007
Winning photographs will be published in a future issue of Geographical, while a selection of the best images will be showcased at a special exhibition at the Royal Geographical Society from 3 to 7 March next year.
- First prize: a £10,000 12-day Zambian safari
- Second prize: a £5,000 ten-day trip to Dubai and Oman, courtesy of Hilton Hotels
- All category winners: will receive an Olympus camera
• People and culture
From customs to people in their environment, your photograph should capture the essence of people from across the globe.
We want to see images that depict your travel adventures – either a destination or form of transport.
From deepest Africa to your back garden, your photograph should capture animals in the wild or animal conservation efforts.
• Environmental issues
Renewable energy, polluted cities – we want to see humanity’s effect on the environment, as well as attempts to conserve it.
Show us the wonders of the natural world, from desert dunes to mighty forests.
• Expeditions and fieldwork
Your photographs should show evidence of geographical fieldwork – aid work, teaching in schools and research.
How to enter
Each photograph must be submitted as an A4 print. Please ensure that all prints are clearly labelled on the reverse with the photographer’s name and address. Each print must be placed in a separate, unsealed envelope that is clearly marked with the following details:
• Competition category being entered
• Photographer’s name, address, telephone number and email address
• A caption of no more than 50 words, including a description of where and when the photo was taken and what, in your opinion, makes the image special
• Technical data, including type of camera, lenses, filters and film (where applicable) used in taking the shot
Entries should be mailed in one envelope, together with the entry form (printed in Geographical or available to download below), to the Geographical editorial office address on the form. Photocopied forms are acceptable.
Entry form (in PDF)
More information is here.